This program is called PLAY 45 PE Challenge. Students will learn the importance of being active on a daily basis.
During each quarter, students will be encouraged to be active for 45 minutes a day for 45 days. Students will be given a scorecard to keep track(pictured right). When the quarter is completed, parents sign and students are asked to turn it in to their PE instructor. There will be a quarterly award followed by a completion award for students who earned an award for each quarter. And on top of all that, at the end of each school year we will compile all cards collected and pick a winner that will receive a “free” themed party with their PE coach.
Here are some examples of what qualifies for being active for 45 minutes:
- Go to your backyard, school or a local park and play on the playground. Running, skipping, hopping, dancing, jumping rope, climbing and swinging are great physical activities.
- Join an organized run. Start by preparing, running every other day building up your endurance to longer runs. There are a lot of 5k runs in the local community. A lot of these races are fundraisers attached to a good cause.
- Get outside and play with your friends! Organize a sports game, play tag, or do relay races with some kids in your neighborhood. Ride bicycles. Go for a swim.
- Go for a walk and take in the beautiful Florida weather. Be consistent. I like to take my children on walks, it is a great way to have conversations with no distractions.
- Exercise videos. Another family event at our house is to rent exercise videos from our local library and doing it with the entire family. Lift weights.
- Join an organized sport after school. Many sports apply lots of physical activity during practices so athletes are better prepared for game time.
- Join a local gym or YMCA. A lot of places have special rates for the whole family.
- Have your children do the approved Play 45 routine when timing is an issue: 45 jumping jacks, 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, 10 scissor kicks, 10 side to side jumps, and 5 lunges.
This is going to be a great year. I can’t wait to see us all get more active and create healthy habits of exercise.